Shellharbour Beach scattered on Everest

Shellharbour Beach scattered on Everest

Peter Wells climbs upwards on May 23. Peter Wells on the summit of Mt Everest.
Nanjing Night Net

Somewhere on top of the world there's a little piece of Shellharbour Beach freezing its sun-bleached grains off.Adventurer and TV presenter Peter Wells scattered the sand on high last month when he realised his 15-year-old dream of climbing to the summit of Mt Everest."It's the beach that I grew up on and learnt to surf on; my roots are there," said Wells, who now lives in Sydney's northern beaches.Wells was among a group of five who dedicated the climb to raising awareness of bowel cancer.He thought himself well prepared for the challenge on arrival at base camp on April 1, but was quickly stunned by the onerous conditions.A warm spell had melted much of the ice, resulting in "massive avalanches that cut out the morning light".A series of corpses exposed by the melting added to the apocalyptic element.Authorities removed five bodies in the early days of Wells' two-month stay as part of a program to clean up the mountain.Bodies included that of a Sherpa buried for years beneath the treacherous mountain's ice."The passion for the mountain means you're well read; you hear about all the deaths," Wells said.The final ascent took five days, with Wells passing into the "death zone" - the 8000m point - after 8pm, using the light of the moon and his head-torch to light a path at times resembling a knife's edge.He arrived at the summit just as the sun appeared over the Tibetan horizon at 5.19am on May 23."The triangular shadow cast by Everest at that time in the morning; it stretched all the way to the horizon," Wells said."I actually said out loud: 'thank you, thank you, thank you'. I was thanking the mountain that it had let me up there."The accomplishment is the latest in a long line of hair-raising experiences for the Sydney Weekender presenter, who reached the summit of Tibet's Mt Cho Oyu in September 2005 and who lists being woken by a lion outside his tent in Nakuru National Park in Kenya in 1999 as his scariest moment.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Miners, union ‘can live with’ Govt’s revamped resources tax

Miners, union ‘can live with’ Govt’s revamped resources tax

The Federal Government's second attempt at a mining tax has received a warm reception across the region.Prime Minister Julia Gillard took a knife to the controversial resources super profits tax (RSPT), slashing the rate at which miners would be taxed by 10 per cent and christening the new deal the minerals resource rent tax (MRRT).The revised tax marks the end of the RSPT in its original form, which had been met with open hostility by the multinationals in control of the region's mining operations.Mick Davis, chief executive of multinational Xstrata, which owns the Tahmoor Colliery, said he was looking forward to finalising the details of the tax after "constructive engagement" with the Government, while BHP Billiton chief executive Marius Kloppers expressed similar sentiments.BHP Billiton owns Illawarra Coal, which operates the Appin, West Cliff and Dendrobium mines.The miners' union had come out strongly in support of the RSPT, but yesterday CFMEU mining and energy division vice-president Wayne McAndrew said the union could "live with" the new deal."It still delivers 90 per cent of what the original proposal delivered - it will deliver small business tax breaks, it will deliver an increase in super, over a period of time, and most importantly for us, will deliver badly needed infrastructure in mining communities affected by the resource boom."But business tax breaks only go half as far as originally proposed, to the disappointment of the Illawarra Business Chamber.Chamber Chief executive Greg Fisher said the pressure would be on the Government to reintroduce cuts to company tax once the budget returned to surplus in 2013.It is also unclear if a $6 billion infrastructure fund, mooted for Western Australia and Queensland under the RSPT, would be extended to NSW.Mr McAndrew said the CFMEU was prepared to return to the campaign trail to ensure the region had a fair share of the tax proceeds."If there's a need to continue to push hard for a fair share of this to go to infrastructure in mining communities, yes, we'll continue to push that pretty hard," he said.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Jonovski may run for council as independent

Jonovski may run for council as independent

Kiril Jonovski could make a political comeback as an independent after he was cleared of misleading a corruption investigation into Wollongong City Council.The sacked councillor, who has maintained his innocence since the Independent Commission Against Corruption investigation began, was this week found not guilty of lying about his involvement in a meeting with developer Frank Vellar at the Flame Tree Cafe in 2006.Mr Jonovski said the verdict now opened the way for a future political career."I'm not ruling anything out, I'll leave the door open for anything," he said, indicating he would likely run as an independent.After Wollongong City Council was sacked in the wake of the 2008 ICAC inquiry, NSW Labor officially expelled Mr Jonovski, along with former councillors Frank Gigliotti, Val Zanotto and Zeki Esen and council official Joe Scimone.Mr Jonovski welcomed Opposition Leader Barry O’Farrell’s pledge this week to hold early council elections should the Liberals win power.“It’s the only way this city can progress, and the sooner we have the elections, the better.”ICAC Commissioner Jerrold Cripps’ final report handed down in October 2008 found Mr Jonovski had engaged in conduct that could constitute or involve corruptly soliciting a benefit.It recommended the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) pursue charges for the offence of corruptly soliciting a benefit from developer Frank Vellar in return for favouring Mr Vellar’s North Beach Bathers’ Pavilion redevelopment proposal, and the offences of making a false statement to, or providing misleading evidence to, the commission.The DPP chose only to pursue the latter two matters and on Thursday both of those charges against Mr Jonovski were dismissed.Mr Jonovski rejected suggestions his involvement in the corruption inquiry had soiled his electoral prospects.“I did my job (as a councillor), I was the people’s person,” he said.“If I decide to run, people will make up their own mind.”The 66-year-old said the protracted inquiry had caused untold personal damage.“Anything like this would take a toll on anyone. For no reason, my family name was tarnished,” Mr Jonovski said.“It’s not just tarnished me, it’s tarnished the town and the community for no reason.”Mr Jonovski said he had been the victim of a “witch-hunt”.
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Brett Morris hoping Origin drought may be broken

Brett Morris hoping Origin drought may be broken

Brett Morris doesn't have any problems scoring for the Dragons.NSW winger Brett Morris admits to being frustrated by it all.Having broken into the Blues line-up this year, his ultra-impressive try-scoring record has been tarnished.Morris is still on zero from two starts in a team blown away by Queensland's march to a fifth-consecutive State of Origin crown. Full coverage of the Dragons This is the same man listed as the shortest-priced first try scorer in rugby league history this year, such is his knack for putting on the Dragons' opening points.The Kiama kid has bagged 39 four-pointers in 38 NRL games in the past two years wearing the Red V.The 23-year-old left-wing wonder was a late call-up for Australia's end-of-season Four Nations tour last year and has gone on to score eight tries in five appearances in green and gold.So while NSW's trophy cabinet may be bare for another year, Morris is desperate to make it third-time lucky in Sydney on Wednesday."Yeah, definitely," he said."I've had a bit of success playing on the wing for Australia with the tries and some good games."Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league, it's the hardest game to play and I haven't made my mark yet. I think it's fair to say that."Hopefully we can get a bit of ball (on Wednesday) and show people what we can do."Morris' opportunities in 160 minutes of Origin have been limited.Pretty much everything he's tried during the series has - for one reason or another - failed to come off.The most accurate reflection of Morris' time in sky blue came when he was denied a try in the closing stages of game two in Brisbane.The result was already beyond doubt by the time Morris put in a neat grubber kick past Israel Folau and Billy Slater, before running around them and planting the ball down. The only problem was that Morris had also rolled the ball between the legs of NSW replacement Kurt Gidley, who was caught in the crossfire and penalised for being offside and obstructing Slater.Morris' only clear break in the two Origin clashes was in the first half in Brisbane with a sweeping run down the left touchline before trying a chip kick.But instead of regathering, the ball fell favourably for Slater to return fire with a counter-attack of his own.Morris knows the task of breaking his Origin duck to help deliver a NSW victory will be that much harder because of AFL-bound Queensland winger Israel Folau's farewell."They'll be looking to send him out on a big note," Morris said."He'd love one of those tries he scores off kicks and I think there's going to be a lot of bombs coming my way, but that's part of your job as a winger."You've got to defuse the bombs and Izzy is probably the best jumper in the game, so it's a great challenge."Morris said he hasn't developed any AFL-style catching techniques to attempt to shut down Folau, who will join the new Greater Western Sydney franchise next year."I haven't even thought about practising the AFL leap - I think (Folau's) got it down to a tee," he said."I've got my own technique, but I definitely don't get as high as him."We'll obviously just have to work hard at training to get certain players in position to shield myself and we'll go from there."Folau scored two in Origin II as the all-Dragons left side of Morris, Matt Cooper and Ben Creagh were caught short on a number of occasions.This time he'll be playing in a revamped Blues team next to the in-form Penrith centre Michael Jennings.The pair played together for Australia last year, but on that occasion Jennings was on the other side of the field."I feel a lot more comfortable with those (Dragons) guys there, you play with them week in, week out," Morris said."But that's not to say the guys that are inside me, I won't feel comfortable with."We're just going to have to work together over the week to get things right, but guys don't get picked in rep teams because they're bad defenders."I'm sure we'll work hard on it and get our structures right."For all of Morris' personal ambition to put his stamp on rugby league's greatest stage on Wednesday, he says he'd happily let the scoreless streak continue if it meant NSW turned the tables on the Maroons."As a winger you like to be scoring tries to know you're doing your job and not just hanging out with the footy players," Morris said."So I'll be looking to score a try."Definitely a try would be nice, but I want a win."I haven't experienced a win on the Origin level and it's something I'll really be trying to do, and with training this week we'll be putting ourselves in the best position to do that."
Nanjing Night Net

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Money a poser to children service

Money a poser to children service

Figures obtained under Freedom of Information revealed that 40 per cent of family violence incidents involved children, she said yesterday.
Nanjing Night Net

But the FoI papers of minutes from a Child and Family Services Southern regional coordination committee meeting showed that, even when extra State Government funding flowed to the service, nobody knew how it was spent, she said.

"In minutes from the meeting, it was noted that $303,000 was allocated to the Child Protection and Referral Service for increased workload, but it was queried where this money had gone," she said.

The document also showed that the department had identified that the service needed 38 extra case workers, but had been unable to fill the positions.

Since the Government's Safe At Home legislation was introduced, there had been a dramatic increase in the number of police- initiated family violence orders and the police response incidents had jumped by 60 per cent, Mrs Napier said.

There had also been a large increase in the number of restraint order applications and demand generally for services to do with family violence had ballooned.

"One of the areas to bear the brunt of this increase is Children and Family Services, but the resources to cope with this are simply not there," Mrs Napier said.

Health Minister David Llewellyn said that at the end of last month there were 289 notifications of possible child abuse or neglect Statewide that had not been allocated for investigation within the bench mark time- frames.

"But all priority one cases - those where there is an immediate risk to the child - were allocated for investigation within half a day," he said.

Mr Llewellyn said that since February 2003, the Government had funded 45 new positions to address the problem.

But he did not say how many of the 45 positions had been filled.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.